Wednesday, February 28, 2007

chapter 2 (we're going to edit eventually right?)

“Did you ask them about food?”
“Yes. I asked them about food.”
“Well what did they say. I want to bring Charlie.” She cradled the old cat close to her chest.
“For Christ Sake Dottie, we’re not bringing the cat.”
“Did they say we couldn’t?”
“No I’m saying we can’t.”
“How do we eat?”
“I don’t know. She told me but I don’t get it. We take a pill. That should be enough. They’re in the thing.”
“So I can’t go to France and have Brie.”
“Well you can. But you don’t need to. Fine. Okay. I’m just going to repeat everything I know for you and then we’ll shut up and get in the damn thing. She said the pill should hold us. Our bodies aren’t being transported anywhere.”
“But then—”
“Shut up and listen. Our consciousness is being transported to, Christ I don’t remember. It’s like we’re everywhere we want to be at once, but we can’t interact and it’s like we’re in our bodies but our bodies aren’t actually here. There are beacons every mile, on our ‘plain’ where we can eat whatever the food of the place and time is but it’s not feeding you, it’s just giving you the experience of eating. So. Eat as much as you want. But the screen’s going to tell us all that anyway.”
Dottie was already in the cylinder. “There are pills for cats too!”
“Jesus,” he said. “They don’t recommend it though,” he said. “They don’t recommend it for pets, pregnant women, retards or suicidals.”
She stepped back out. “You aren’t suicidal. Are you George?”
He looked at his wife, still in her stupid, dumpy old nightgown, clutching that cat. “No sweetheart. Of course not. Are you?”
“No,” she said. “No of course not.”
“Take your pill darling.”
“Come on Charlie,” she says. “Take your little pill.”

2 comments:

adam said...

If you like. It's up to you. The dialogue is very nice as it is, though.

amber said...

i like it. sci-fi hills like white elephants.